February 2, 2010

What Makes Hair Good Hair?

Okay so what makes hair good hair?
  We all know we can't truly change what God gave us.  The truth is in the roots or at the base (stylist term=roots, medical term=base).  The reason why I ask the question that we all think we know the answer to.  Is merely because people put so much emphasis on texture, color, softness, smoothness, luster (shine), length.  Those are actual descriptions of some hair, but to say that one has good hair..... Like for example a lot of people say I have good hair, and I say no I don't because it always gives me a hard time and I have to do so much to it.  I guess there are different levels of goodness.
Check out what these girls have to say about society on black hair The Tyra Bank Show on "Good Hair"

Like Kenya Moore she has beautiful hair, but to me it looks course and thick like she has to do a lot to it to get it the way she wants it.  Not good hair in my opinion, but it looks beautiful.



However, my favorite hair of all time belongs to Stacey Dash. 


When I was a little girl, I want hair like Stacey's, because  I had this child hood friend that had wavy curly long silk shiny hair.  It was around that time when I met this girl that I started seeing women in the 80's getting fake hair sewn on their head with hair that look like hers.  Oh and my little friend, she could get away with murder.  Everyone spoiled her and would tell her she had beautiful hair, and she was so pretty..... ugg! I use to get so upset,  because she was so mean, and evil!  I guess because I didn't see her the way everyone else did because we were tomboys.   So I learned at a young age the affects that hair can have on people.  The things we feel we have to do to our hair.  It's no wonder that so many of us grew up with this embedded misconception about what's good hair and what our hair should look like.  Because for many African American ( gosh I hate using that term, I am not African!!) it started at a young age.


Little girl getting hair straightened with hot comb.  Didn't have  too many those days but I remember them all too well.



Here is a photo of my two little girls, that are obviously mixed.   One day when I was walking into walmat, this German lady runs up to me and asks me " what do you put in her hair to make it curly like that, because my daughter's hair is frizzy and dry all the time"  I told her what I used, then I paused, and asked if her daughter was mixed and if she has afro kinky hair?  She then told me it was.  I told her to try the products but because the hair textures were different, she may get a different result.  I have to stress the fact that what works for others, may not work for some.  Here is a nice instructional video for good tips on how to take care of  kinky curly hair.  Some good product choices, because there are many out there for natural hair care.  These are MY favorites and they are QP Elasta mango butter, BB with castor oil, and coconut oil.  With Afro hair we have to remember that our hair gets thirsty fast.  When I put on my conditioner I like to mix it with coconut oil, then I saturate it.  If I am going to just pull it back into a ponytail, I make sure my hair at the ends are moisurized thoroughly, to prevent them from drying out.  For my girls I use pure organic coconut oil.  Only the best for my girls :) I like to use coconut oil for them because it isn't heavy, and once it is applied it absorbs really good into the hair giving it high luster without the greasiness.  So in turn they get shiny hair, not to mention I regularly trim their ends. Their hair is now almost to their waste.  No matter what texture your hair is, anyone can have a beautiful head full of hair and grow their hair long.  If you are good to it, it will be good to you and make you feel very blessed to have it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment