September 14, 2012

My Hair Journey

It's been so long since I've posted on my blog. I have been doing a lot since my last post, which has been like what seems like forever! With a new baby and no longer working on a full time basis allows me the time to do a lot of other things that I like, including coming here to share what some of my hair passions and remedies that I had to discover and not talk so some much about the business. The biz is the biz but it's not why I do hair. I do it because I love to do hair! I am steadily traveling this journey called life. While not only discovering my true self but also what is truly working for my hair lol. My hair business have never failed me if anything I can say there are many of time that I didn't have time for my many clients. But the two things that have always remained is I'm a true entrepreneur to the heart and the many challenges I go thru with my own hair. I've done a lot of research on hair care, hair growth and products for my clients and myself that it's mind blowing. The education and knowledge that is out there is endless. So many of my sisters do not understand the importance to have the want to learn about our hair and the threat it poses to our pocket books to not have this knowledge. I mean there is youtube, personal websites and forums. I think we should be walking around here with hair down to our butts if we so choose. Yet many of us still rely on weaves and what these Koreans tell us whats good for our own hair so we can continue to fill their pockets. I have discovered some unconventional remedies for my hair texture. I know that people would say its a no no to leave conditioner in your hair as a styling product. But I have to say "it works for me". It softens my hair and allows my oils to penetrate better without just laying on the top, but the magic is my hair growing due to the fact that is isn't breaking with I comb it. I have been going natural for some time now, and I have to say that it has not been easy. I have been very tempted to relax it but not anymore. I love my hair! I should not want to change my strand structure at all. But it's not for everyone. I would not encourage it unless you are willing and truly really ready to invest in your hair. I'm not just talking products, I'm also talking "TLC". Our hair is very delicate and we have to be very gentle. Although we can find good products that make it easy to care for kinky hair. We have to keep in mind that all hair is not alike,obviously. A true straight hair strand is round(I'm not talking permed hair by heat)ie.. Caucasian hair. Most of us with African ancestry have either oval shaped or flat strands of hair, or both. The curlier the hair the more flat shaped the strands are. Oval hair is wavy.. bellismo! I love wavy hair it is so soft and appealing. I know I shouldn't judge it that way. But real talk lets be honest it is very attractive
However my favorite is natural curly, I fall closer to the curlier side.
Now let's talk supplements. On doing some research on the different vitamins and hair potions and lotions that are out there. The one that stood out to me the most was MSM. MSM stands for Methylsulfonylmethane and is one of the most important elements in our body that is part of our hairs composition "sulfur". The majority if not all of the hair nail and skin pills on the market lists MSM as one of their active ingredients. I have also used biotin. Biotin is the first supplement that I have taken in addition to my prenatal pills, and is also a listed ingredient in the majority of hair skin and nail pills... Love them! Now the catch is you have to drink plenty of water or you will breakout. The good thing about biotin, they are water soluble. So you CAN NOT over dose. Your body will expel what it doesn't need, hence the face breaking out. That's why it is important to drink plenty of water, so it doesn't cause break-outs but instead flush out. Back to the MSM because I love them so much. and the fact that my hair texture actually changed to a soft wavy coil texture. I thought I was tripping because I have gone months with out a relaxer so I knew it was time for a retouch but I couldn't tell. My hair is thick and is growing longer and looser curls and wavy. the only straight part is at the ends where the relaxer is. I had to research this occurrence. What I have uncovered is that many ladies on different forums said that this has happened to them on MSM. So, my belief was confirmed. MSM did change the texture of my hair. Now the other question is how and why? that is soon to be revealed.... Now I know what you are thinking. What's up with her and her hair? Well for one I have a passion for hair. Two, I miss my long hair. Years ago it was to my bra but then started shedding due to this dye I used because I thought was all natural so I left it on all night. So I had to cut it so it wouldn't look so thin. Now I am basically starting over...I was so stupid!! If I knew then what I know now and I would have discovered biotin and msm and my hair would be to my ass! And finally number three I told my husband I would gain 5 inches by the time he came home from Afghanistan. I think I am there with three more months to go. I will post pictures soon. I continue to still assure myself that it's only hair and it will grow back. The saga continue....

No comments:

Post a Comment