November 11, 2012

Are African Head Wraps Sexy?

I know I've mentioned in a recent post about how transitioning hair styles are not appealing or attractive by far.  In case many of you don't know what transitioning hair styles are, the photos below is one of them.  Very common around here where I live.


I call these the bush bitch look.  Sorry that's mean, sorry I really am.

Here in America decades ago we invented straightening combs and relaxers.  So I feel offended by these unattractive slave hair style" singing negro spiritual "Waning in the Water" til your hair grows back. Taking us back 200 years.

 I was talking to this lady while our kids were in the gym. She is from West Africa. Senegal to be exact. It was funny cause down a few seats from me, there was a lady with this afro puff on top of her head.
Yes I had to snap a photo.

This lady from Senegal was explaining to me that women in Africa don't walk around like they do here in the states. They have a more elegant presentation in public. She said, "the ladies are lazy by the head here". I laughed because I could not agree more. We were talking about having pride and holding our heads up high in admiration. Not with a "I don't give a care" attitude, that many women display here. By showing respect for yourself and your appearance, lets others see that and respect us as well.  That also goes far beyond appearance, our attitudes too. And we wonder why other races don't mess with us hardly. Sometimes it has nothing to do with them being prejudice, but a lot about the way they see us conduct ourselves. What we need to also realize, is that little stupid things like this affect us as a whole  and it's sad cause we can't even stick together. That's a whole other topic. So for now in this post I need to stick with hair. The women with these head wraps in these photos, to me represent a queen and someone that demands respect from anyone she encounters. So it's not a question of being sexy, it's a matter of showing integrity and dignity for oneself enough to care about what others thinks.  The styles in the pictures below is a beautiful way to transition and you don't have a stress about your hair because you don't have to worry about anyone seeing what's underneath.  That's a secret between you and God. 



1 comment:

  1. I really agree with this article I.
    And I hope I could look still beautiful in daily life, so I always buy many wigs to do the different hairstyle in normal life. and I like to order them from Curlsqueen, nice quality and look beautiful.
    www.curlsqueen.com

    ReplyDelete