October 29, 2012

Hair Pulling Disaster



Trichotillomania is a  condition brought to my attention one night on a television show about unusual habits but then, I came across a client that did the same thing to her own hair.  I was traumatized after that, I mean her whole demeanor was odd and to top it off I had to come up with a way to hide this hideous sight.  I did it with a sew in and a net.  I was repulsed because as much as we try our hardest to grow our hair and retain length.  Why would a "sista" do this? I mean how could she?  I don't know what's going on in her head but I feel sorry for her husband to have to endure this with her.  I know that is a harsh statement but that's how I feel about it, she is a grown woman and should know better. 

Also there is another condition sometimes associated with hair pulling, and that is the Rapunzel Syndrome.  And yes that is the medical term for it.  It's when the person pulls out their hair and eats it.  Yeah I know what you are thinking, I thought that same thing.  First I was like ohhhkay, then I was like, what harm can that do?  Children with long hair like to put their hair in their mouth all the time.  But please dont let your child do this unless you want to in up with a kid with a big hair ball in her gut that has to be surgically removed. Because we can not digest hair, hince the cat's hair ball.  Just saying cause it can happen and it is usually an unsuspected culprit.  Poor kid would be suffering through a battery of tests before they find out what the mass in their tummy is.   




No comments:

Post a Comment